Wednesday 14 December 2011

"When the hell did my lungs leave my body and why didn't I notice?"

Marathon by Mimizu666
Week 1: Day 1 of Couch to 5K Programme
"When the hell did my lungs leave my body and why didn't I notice?", this is the thought that hit me after my second round of running. Jesus. It started to burn in my chest. 'This isn't normal', was the second thought to go through my head. And then finally some sense hit me and I thought 'This is just what it takes!". So all I did was run for twenty minutes and I was panting like a half dead hyena. No surprise there then seeing as my previous exercise regime consisted of walking to the shops to buy loads of biscuits and then doing 40 reps for time on my jaw muscles, and finally working out my brain  with endless documentaries about deep sea creatures (which are the coolest things on the planet) until my eyelids were so fatigued I had no choice but to sleep. But all that has stopped because I exercise now, and even though I look like that snail whilst I'm out running today, I know that it will get easier each week and in six months time I'm going to be in training for my first 10k run. Although the reality is that the training is starting now.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Spax! Everyone has to start somewhere.

    I'm at the end (sort of) of the C25K, I have done my first 5k race (was last, but someone has to be!) BUT I did finish it within the time I set for myself. I have my second (3.5 mile) race booked for boxing day and am comfortably running 2 miles 3 times a week in 22-24 minutes (in the dark on x-country trails etc!)and still be able to talk at the end of it...

    The runners forum is a great place for help, inspiration and and generally makes you feel better about yourself if you're having a rough patch. They have ALL gone through what you are going through at the moment.

    Hope you have a Happy Christmas and stick with it!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete